Monday, February 2

Vastu õhtut

- My sleeping patterns.
  Fatman took the fall.
  He sent me flying yesterday but
  Today he said I've got no symmetry
  I stole his watch
  And broke it.

So, why is it again that Pi is one of my all time favourite films? Well, for starters the director Darren Aronofsky is a genius. And the plot is fascinating, not only because I'm obsessed with maths and numbers in general but for the ending's ambiguity and the obsessive and paranoid leading character whom I somehow can relate to. I love the fuzzy black-and-white, the ambivalence and the fact that it was low budget and yet one of the very best films I've ever seen. In your face, big-time-enormous-budget-mediocre-result Hollywood producers! ;) The idea was thrilling and compelling and the outcome top notch. So kudos to Darren :) And to all the staff of course. The cast was well chosen and perfect. I also absolutely love the soundtrack, right on Clint!


A bit more about Darren and his films. Most of us have probably at least heard of the famous Requiem for a Dream if not seen it. It's a masterpiece, no doubt in that; a bit depressive and sombre though, so certainly not a film for everyone. There's just this immense sensation of hopelessness it gives off... The same goes for The Fountain, although less dreary. The Wrestler, Darren's newest proves drama to be his best genre. To be honest, I couldn't possibly imagine him creating a comedy of some sort. He found his niche long ago and he's definitely working it.

No comments: